Friday, April 13, 2012

My New Challenge

I was inspired by a consultant we work with and a gentleman I saw on Jeopardy, to issue myself a challenge. Jeopardy guy, was working to complete 40 half marathons before his 40th birthday, and our consultant wanted to try 40 new things before her 40th birthday.

Interesting idea, don't you think?

Before the accident I wanted to do four different 5Ks, as part of my physical therapy and weight loss goals I have been walking, a lot. Either at the park in at home doing Leslie Sansone walk tapes and DVDs. So I challenged myself to complete 35 5Ks before my 35th birthday. Which is in a little over 3.5 years away in case you're wondering. My knee is not quite ready to to handle me running a 5K so I plan to walk each one until I can.

My first 5K, on 3 Mar 2012, went pretty well, I was able to walk the whole thing in 46:31, finishing in 465th place out of some 700+, not bad if I do say so myself.

My second did not go as well. I wasn't familiar with the event location and used Google Maps to get directions and though I left early enough to be 30 minutes early, I ended up being about 30 minutes late. Why do you ask? Well first I missed a turn on the high way and had to turn around, then thinking I needed to turn left, given my new orientation, instead of right, I took another wrong turn. I figure this out turn around and start anew. Only to end up on what I think is the wrong street, at least based on Google's directions. Frustrated I asked for directions and finally got turned back around, I got lost again because the directions I was given were wrong. Just when I think I've finally made it, I realize the 5K I'm approaching is not the one I'm signed up form. *sighs & shakes head* Then armed with new directions, which I confirmed by way of yet another stop, I set out again. You can color me surprised when I really upset when I realize that I'm back on the same road that Google's directions told me was wrong, and yes if I had just driven another two miles up the road I would have seen the park. In any case, it was rainy and nasty out, and the track was all dirt and gravel trails so missing out on most of the run was actually a good thing.

Tomorrow is 5K number three, let's keep our fingers crossed and we'll see how it goes?

No comments:

Post a Comment